Posted: April 25th, 2019
The temperature eases back up into a more comfortable range as the beautiful Missouri landscape springs to life with its annual kaleidoscope of flora and fauna for all to enjoy.
Once again, it’s time to step outside with family and friends to savor your own casual dining experience with a delightful picnic amidst the natural wonders of springtime.
And the best news of all? As a wine-lover’s paradise, Central Missouri boasts a bevy of unique wines, each with its own one-of-a-kind flavor profile.
Here’s our handy wine pairing guide for choosing the perfect variety from Les Bourgeois Vineyards to bring out the finest flavors in all of your picnic faves!
Pick the Perfect Wine for Your Picnic Favorites
Start with your choice of breads, veggies, meats and more. Make your menu complete by adding these wines to your picnic basket or cooler.
- French: Vidal Winemaker’s Select. This crisp, dry white wine exudes enticing citrus aromas, accompanied by refreshing notes of lemon zest and grapefruit.
- Sourdough: Norton. Made from the state grape of Missouri, this full-bodied dry red wine entices with a bouquet of spicy earth tones and violet, and rewards with a rich fruit flavor that lingers through a light tannin finish.
- Focaccia: St. Vincent Dry Rosé. Showcasing Missouri’s own St. Vincent grape, this refreshing, easy to drink favorite combines a candied cherry nose, delicate strawberry and a hint of lemon peel for a smooth finish.
- Regular white and wheat breads. These go almost effortlessly with most wines, so simply choose your favorite Les Bourgeois variety and enjoy!
- Onion: Traminette. Part of the Les Bourgeois Collector’s Series and showcasing the best qualities of the Traminette grape, this dry white wine greets you with a floral nose and tempts with touches of basil and herbal notes before finishing with notes of citrus zest.
- Avocado: Brut Sparkling Wine. Vidal grapes bring a refreshing aroma to this dry sparkling wine, brimming with crisp effervescence and a dry finish.
- Pickles: Vignoles. This fresh, semi dry white wine teases with just a hint of sweetness and a crisp, subtle finish.
- Tomato: Norton.
- Greens, such as lettuce and salads: Solay. Blended with 100% of Missouri’s finest grape varietals, this dry white wine takes you on an intense tropical fruit tastecation with no oak aging to mask the experience.
- American: Chardonel. Estate bottled, this exquisite, full bodied white wine delights with crisp apple and pear aromas combined with light oak and a steely finish.
- Cheddar: Concord. Please your palate with an explosion of fresh concord grape flavor from this sweet, balanced red wine.
- Provolone: Norton.
- Swiss: Vignoles.
- Mozzarella: Vidal Winemaker’s Select.
- Muenster: Solay.
- Salami: Pink Fox. Made from the Native American Catawba grape, this sweet rosé is not your ordinary blush! Tantalize your taste buds with its bold fruit flavor and pleasantly sweet finish.
- Roast beef: Norton.
- Turkey: Chardonel.
- Ham: Juenette Rouge. This medium-bodied dry red wine makes a welcome addition to any occasion with its fruity character, soft finish and diverse appeal.
- Chicken: Solay.
- Bacon: Fleur du Vin. The Missouri St. Vincent grape lends a light, fruity aroma and soft character to this broadly appealing semi-dry red wine.
Toppings and Dips
Plan Your Picnic
Now that you’ve picked the perfect wine, you’re ready to plan the rest of your picnic. Our friends at the Missouri Wine and Grape Board offer these tips:
- Know your audience. Are children coming along or is this picnic just for grown-ups? Does anyone have dietary restrictions or special requests? Make sure you pack enough delicious options for everyone.
- Choose finger foods. Keep things convenient with options that are simple to fix and easy to eat. Fresh fruits and veggies, hard or deli meats, pickles and nuts are great choices.
- Pack your tools. Bring along non–breakable plates, utensils and cups or glasses. Make sure you have enough napkins, paper towels and trash bags so you can leave your picnic site like you found it. And don’t forget knives, a cutting board and corkscrew.
- Make everyone comfortable. Will there be picnic tables where you are going, or will you be enjoying lunch on the ground? Consider blankets, towels, pillows or lightweight folding chairs.
And if you’d like to leave the picnic basket at home this time, join us for a relaxing outdoor dining experience at the A-Frame at Les Bourgeois!
Our menu features a variety of tasty sandwiches and baskets, along with a fun, flavorful selection from our collection of Missouri wines. Plus, enjoy a view that can’t be beat!
We look forward to seeing you!